For some personal project I'm currently looking for a hosting party.
I started very open minded to use whatever technology to build the web application from Grails, Spring Roo, Ruby on Rails to CakePHP or even Drupal.
I don't have that many requirements:
- Hosting party should be a respected company
- Ability to scale out easily
- Offer Subversion service to manage my application sources
- And (very important for my own wallet!) it should be affordable
I've looked into Google App Engine but for now I have decided not to go that direction. Main reason is the lack of a relational database.
For now I decided to go for a Grails or Ruby on Rails solution. I never developed a full Ruby on Rails application (except reading/trying some tutorials in the past) but maybe this is the time to give it a try... It's never bad to learn a new language and I think I will pick it up very quickly as it's concepts are very similar to Grails. I still need to think about this and will decide later which of the two I will use.
Based on hosting experiences within the Grails community I already made a shortlist of hosting parties and contacted them already with some question. This is my shortlist so far:
- eApps - e.g. Jan Sokol of grailstutorials.com is using this and is very happy about it
- Rackspace - there Cloud Server plans look great
- RimuHosting - also get good credits within the Grails community
I have some time to make a decision so any comments are appreciated.